Tuesday, October 18, 2011

While the husband is away...

My husband just left on Sunday for 2 weeks on business, and the first thing I do is browse through the chick flicks on HBO.  I settle on Sex in the City 2 and Burlesque.  I am prepared for cheesy and unrealistic plot lines, but WOW!  Now, I love Sex in the City like every other female 20 something, but this movie was terrible.  First of all, I'm fascinated by culture in the Middle East, and I'm not sure that they did any research of their own before filming.  Second, I give props to anyone who is a mom, but seriously Charlotte.  Who bakes while wearing a "Vintage Valentino!!!"  Miranda was the only character that was actually believable, and btw, Cynthia Nixon has gotten more beautiful as she's aged.  Slutty Samantha was just as slutty as she's always been, which gives us a conflict because while in the Middle East, Samantha gets caught making out in public.  While unbelievable, it proves to be the only real conflict in the entire 90 minute movie.   Mr. Big is just as big of as a narcissist as ever but seems to be perfect for our girl Carrie, who is so caught up in her own life that she comes across as childish and selfish.




Burlesque is bad.  The story is completely unrealistic, and hard to swallow.  Cher looks plastic... If you are thinking about getting plastic surgery, just look at Cher.





I'm supposed to believe Ali, Christina Alguilera's character, is a small town girl who just got off the bus from Iowa and wants to "strip" at a club in Hollywood. Um, NO!  At this club she meets a guy and they fall in love and it all ends happily ever after.  Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age, but have I outgrown the Hollywood, Cinderella stories?? 

If you don't like my movie review, you can read one here.  http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100525/REVIEWS/100529986

And here.  http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101123/REVIEWS/101129989

Other than sit around and watch chick flicks, I made some delicious pad thai.  I've always enjoyed ordering this at restaurants, but I've never made it.  Mine turned out very well.

Pad Thai

Rice Noodles- soaked 8-10 minutes in hot water
1 can of stir fry vegetables
4 baby Bella mushrooms- sliced
1/4 sweet potato- diced
4 baby carrots- diced
1 stalk of celery- diced
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1 tsp garlic
1/2 cup spicy teriyaki sauce
peanut oil- to taste


I sauteed the sweet potato and carrots in peanut oil and garlic till softened; add mushroom, celery, and pineapple.  Cook 1-2 minutes.  Add can of stir fry vegetables and cook 1-2 minutes.  Add noodles and sauce and cook till heated through. 

This was so simple and delicious.  You can add shrimp or chicken if you want meat, but I'm trying to eat vegetarian while Jade is away. 

If you make pad thai regularly and you have any suggestions to make it more authentic, send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment