Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cancun and Akumal travels

In my last post, I mentioned that I haven't had the opportunity to go out and experience the area.  Jade and I have both been really busy, but we finally chose one day a week to spend exploring together.

Last week, I met some really great people, and they took us out on their boat to Cancun.  Jade and I have been so fortunate to meet open and friendly people all over the world.


 The view of Cancun from the boat


Jade enjoying the sun.

We had perfect weather, with a very mild breeze, cloud cover to protect our skin, and perfect, crystal clear and calm waters.  We snorkeled the Cancun reef and after a little break, Olivia and Jade "trolled" for some fishies.  They didn't catch any, but I'm sure this guy did!


I also got to see my very first Cenote.  So cool!  A cenote is a deep, water-filled sinkhole in limestone that is created when the roof of an underground cavern collapses. This creates a natural pool which is then filled by rain and underground rivers.  They are really prevalent in the Yucatan with over 2000 to see.   I can't wait to snorkel or scuba one!


The cenote from the boat.  The water was a little cold and crocodile-filled so we stayed put.

After our day of fun Oliva and her husband Scott, invited us to their home for dinner and drinks.  Jade and are so happy to have met more great people!

Today, we just got back from Akumal.  It was such a beautiful place and so easy to get to.


The hubs and I enjoying the sun


 We were lucky enough to see 2 manta rays and at least 4 HUGE sea turtles almost immediately.  This was my first time seeing a manta ray in the wild, and it was pretty fabulous.  While we were swimming around, a very large sea turtle swam right under us.  He was housing some little fishies on his shell too.

I really have to get an underwater camera!  The fish and turtle sightings were unbelievable and unforgettable!


And these views are pretty amazing too!



If you are traveling to Akumal for the first time, don't fall for the $100 tour guides.  We got on a Collectivo bus in Playa del Carmen and it took us to Akumal for $35 pesos.  When we were finished snorkeling and relaxing on the beach, we walked back to the highway and waited for the Collectivo bus to come back by.


 Don't be scared to stick your thumb out and hitch a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment