Monday, April 30, 2012

Uxmal

Uxmal



During our little vacay to Merida, we also traveled to Uxmal, which is about 30 miles south of the city.  If you haven't figured out by now, I'm slightly obsessed with the Maya culture, architecture, and history.  My family traveled to Guatemala when I was 19, and visited Tikal.  Since then, I have been amazed every time I see Mayan ruins.  It is unfathomable to me how the Maya constructed these buildings without our modern day technology.






La Gran Pirámide (The Grand Pyramid)


 

Nunnery Quadrangle is a nickname given by the Spanish.  It was the Government Place.  It covers more than 1,200 square meters.
 

Parts of this building were decorated in elaborate artwork.  Some depicts the two headed serpent and others depict the Rain God, Chaac.

















Magician Pyramid (El Adivino)



 El Adivino was built with 5 levels and is one of the most picturesque building of Uxmal.


I had a wonderful time learning about the history of Uxmal and their struggle with survival.  Our wonderful tour guide, Dan- my brother- navigated us through the ancient history.  (I think I did more picture taking than listening.)





Another great trip with great company.



Love my husband



Jackie and Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment