Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Be Grateful

 Lately I've read so many books, blogs, and articles about women who feel less than adequate.  This post is for those women... myself included.

"It’s surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you’re not comfortable within yourself, you can’t be comfortable with others."

-Sidney J. Harris

I know many women whom desire to change their bodies.  Some friends of mine have been so unhappy with their given body parts, that they've surgically changed those parts. Don't get me wrong,
I have days where I HATE my body.  Not all of my body, but my flabby tummy, the inside of my soft thighs, my saggy butt, my incredibly small breasts... etc, but there are parts that I think are pretty beautiful too.  It also helps that my husband thinks I'm beautiful and isn't afraid to tell me daily.  Lately, I've tried to change my mind set from the things my body isn't, to the amazingly adaptable structure that my body is.  Every time I run 6 miles, I'm grateful I can do that.  Every time I play tennis, basketball, swim, and practice yoga, I'm thankful for my health.  I try not to think of how fast or far I used to be able to run, but that I can run. 

Our bodies are incredible machines, and I have abused mine plenty, but I'm beginning to learn how to take care of my mind and body in healthy, maintainable ways.  I've only very recently come to a point in my life where I'm proud of all that I've accomplished and the woman I've become.  I will continue to strive for improvement every day, (in body, mind, and spirit) so maybe in some ways, I am not completely self-accepting, but I'm grateful I have the ability to improve.  And that's okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment